Without question, when talking to people about eating healthier, there are two things that come up as the biggest challenges. And, I know you’re well aware of what they are before I even reach the end of this sentence. But in case you’re a superhuman and these things are completely off your radar, let me help:
I hear you. This can be true.
But it certainly doesn’t have to be.
Thanks to a recent post by Jenny at Nourished Kitchen for this incredible discovery that I have to share with you.
It’s an online food/health store where you’ll find oh-so many of your basics, as well as your specialty health foods, at a Major discount.
Well, consider this a version of that, but for health foods and health products, I plan to use a combination of both.
This latest and greatest discovery is Vitacost. (Note: This is a referral link, so you’ll get $10 off your first order. However, if you don’t want to give your name and email for an account just yet, simply go to Vitacost.)
Not only are the products offered at great discounts, but they seem to constantly have additional sales and promotions, making the deals even crazier.
As I’ve shopped through the site, I’ve compared many of the products that I typically pick up at the grocery, or specialty stores, and I’m telling you, the savings are nuts.
On top of that, if you order at least $49 worth, shipping is free, and much like Amazon, you can subscribe to certain items you buy on a regular basis to save even more (an additional 10%).
Just to give you an idea as to the types of food items you can order on the site, the following is short list of some of the basics I’ll be purchasing on Vitacost.
- Seeds (sunflower, hemp, chia, pumpkin, flax..)
- Grains and Rice (Quinoa, brown rice.. )
- Dried Fruit (Goji Berries, apples, coconut flakes, etc)
- Vinegars (Raw apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar)
- Oils (olive oil, coconut oil.. walnut.. on and on)
- Spices (I go through cinnamon like it’s my job)
- Chocolate/Cacao powder
- Sweeteners (Raw honey, real maple syrup, stevia – when I can’t get the honey and maple syrup from my farmers market)
- Extracts (vanilla, almond)
- Granola (They have Purely Elizabeth – my fave!)
- Go Raw Products (super cookies, bars, etc. – I love these “cookies” but they aren’t normally the most affordable)
- Lara Bars, Kind Bars (love)
- Mary’s Gone Crackers! (I really love these too)
- Kid’s Snacks (so many – have a look, get some healthy option ideas)
- Vitamins and supplements (I use fish oil, they carry my brand)
- Teas and Coffees (As I drink a lot of it, I’ll be switching to Numi teas after reading this article by Vani Hari, the Food Babe, and confirming some of my previous suspicions)
You can also shop by diet or specialty. You can break it down by gluten-free, Non-GMO, vegan, raw foods, the list goes on.
I could write a list for days, but I just want to give you an idea of how much of what you’re buying at the grocery store (probably at much higher prices) can be found here, and delivered right to your door.
Less $$ and less schlepping – sign me up. Lord knows I can’t stand carrying all those bags. And I can’t even imagine how those of you carrying bags in one hand and children in the other, are keeping it together.
Listen, it won’t keep you out of the grocery store altogether. It better not – as you need to be stocking up on fruit, vegetables, fish, meats, and dairy, but:
1. You’ll cut your time in the store to a bare minimum, or maybe even be able to take care of those items at your local farmers market
2. You can truly stick to the perimeter of the store – eliminating temptations for things you don’t want or need
3. You’ll save a few extra pennies which will allow a little more room for that organic produce or dairy and that quality meat that’s so important to your family’s health
4. Often times, and especially if you live in more rural areas, it’s hard to find some of the health products you’re you’re looking for. Here’s your solution
So… as we’re all getting back to reality and can still recall all that pre-Thanksgiving grocery store trauma, I say you kick back in the comfort of your own home, and login to Vitacost.com
Then, in the comments below, let me know what you find. We can all share in each other’s discoveries!
PS – Did I mention, they have an app as well??
Just keeps getting better..